11 Eleftherias Sq., 712 01 Heraklion – Crete

  /    /  History
Knossos Creta 1920

The Venetian walls

Today reserved seven bastions and two of their four gates. The Door of Chania, from which the Candia communicated with throughout Western Crete has winged lion of St. Markou.I New Gate is on the south side of the enclosure and is newer . Bring decoration, inscription constructed ( 1587 ) . At the southernmost point of the walled enclosure is the rampart of Martinengo and on a plateau the modest grave of Nikos Kazantzakis.

The Loggia

Rectangular , two-story building, sleeker from the Venetian buildings of the city . Today it houses the Town Hall. It was built in 1626-1628 by the General Intendant Francesco Morosini , who built an homonymous fountain in the center of Venizelos square. In the Venetian was a gathering place and recreation for the nobility and the balconies of the Duke prosfonouse people or attending various ceremonies. The current building is a reconstruction of the destroyed old mansion .

The Castle or Koule

It is built at the entrance of the Venetian port in order to protect it from raids . On the sides are preserved pieces of built , carved lions of Saint Mark who adorned . It is open for visits by the public , and the top has formed an open air theater . The name Koules is Turkish . The Venetians called it RoccaalMare.


The church of St. Titus , the patron saint of the island, in the homonym square. Alloyed eastern and western architectural elements . It was originally built by the Byzantines . After conversion from the Venetians and the Turks, who used it as the true Catholic cathedral , and the like mosque destroyed by the great earthquake of 1856. In 1872 it was rebuilt and later made ​​some amendments to operate again as orthodox church. Here is kept the holy skull of Saint Titus .

The Church of Saint Mark

It was built by the Venetians who dedicated it to their patron . The Turks after the fall of Heraklion turned it into a mosque , adding the minarets . In 1956 he restored in Venetian form. Today it is used as a House of Letters , as a place of permanent exhibition of copies of Byzantine frescoes and as a concert hall .

The cathedral of Saint Minas

Impressive church of the largest in Greece . He crucified figure with four equal antennas, majestic dome and two tall spiers . In the northwest corner stands the old church of Agios Minas and the Visitation .


The Historical Museum of Crete was founded in 1953 by the Society of Cretan Historical Studies. The museum presents a comprehensive view of Cretan history from early Christian times to the modern era. The Fine Arts Museum is a private art museum. Founded in May 2000 by K. Schizakis. The activities of the museum organizes educational seminars and lectures on issues of artistic creation. It features a permanent exhibition spaces and art mainly Cretan artists.

Vikelaia Library

On the floor of the municipal hall «Aktar». Founded in 1910 with books donated by Dimitrios Vikelas scholar , poet and novelist , who is also known as the first president of the International Olympic Committee and leader of the first modern Olympics in Athens in 1896. The number of library volumes is 80,000 .

Heraklion Creta castle

Ο ναός του Αγίου Μάρκου

Χτίστηκε από τους Βενετούς που τον αφιέρωσαν στον προστάτη τους. Οι Τούρκοι μετά την άλωση του Ηρακλείου τον μετέτρεψαν σε τζαμί προσθέτοντας του μιναρέ. Το 1956 αποκαταστάθηκε στην ενετική μορφή του. Σήμερα χρησιμοποιείται σαν Στέγη Γραμμάτων, σαν χώρος μόνιμης έκθεσης αντιγράφων βυζαντινών τοιχογραφιών και σαν αίθουσα συναυλιών.

Ο μητροπολιτικός ναός του Αγίου Μηνά

Εντυπωσιακός ναός, από τους μεγαλύτερους στην Ελλάδα. Έχει σταυρικό σχήμα με τέσσερις ίσες κεραίες, μεγαλοπρεπή τρούλο και δύο πανύψηλα κωδωνοστάσια. Στη βορειοδυτική γωνιά του σώζεται η παλιά εκκλησία του Αγίου Μηνά και της Υπαπαντής.


Το Ιστορικό Μουσείο Κρήτης ιδρύθηκε το 1953 από της Εταιρία Κρητικών Ιστορικών Μελετών. Το μουσείο παρουσιάζει μια συνολική εικόνα της ιστορίας της Κρήτης από τους πρώτους χριστιανικούς αιώνες έως τη σύγχρονη εποχή.

Το Μουσείο Εικαστικών Τεχνών είναι ένα ιδιωτικό μουσείο τέχνης. Ιδρύθηκε το Μάιο του 2000 από τον K. Σχιζάκη. Οι δραστηριότητες του είναι η διοργάνωση επιμορφωτικών και εκπαιδευτικών σεμιναρίων και διαλέξεων σε θέματα καλλιτεχνικής δημιουργίας. Διαθέτει μόνιμους χώρους έκθεσης και έργα τέχνης κυρίως κρητικών καλλιτεχνών.

Βικελαία Βιβλιοθήκη

Στον όροφο του δημοτικού μεγάρου «Ακτάρικα». Ιδρύθηκε το 1910 με βιβλία που δώρισε ο Δημήτριος Βικέλας λόγιος, ποιητής και πεζογράφος, ο οποίος είναι επίσης γνωστός ως ο πρώτος πρόεδρος της Διεθνούς Ολυμπιακής Επιτροπής και πρωτεργάτης για την πρώτη σύγχρονη Ολυμπιάδα της Αθήνας, το 1896. Ο αριθμός των τόμων της βιβλιοθήκης ανέρχεται σε 80.000 περίπου.

elGreek en_USEnglish