Due to its strategic position in the center of the Mediterranean and on the crossroads between the East and the West, Crete has always been the ‘apple of discord’ among the flourishing civilizations of the Mediterranean, born or come as conquerors to the region, mainly interested in naval tradition. One of the greatest civilizations of Antiquity, the Minoan civilization flourished on the island and even after its demise, Crete continued its fascinating journey in time, which gave some of the most impressive landmark, sites and monuments in history.
Hotel Carsis Astoria in the center of Heraklion and of Crete makes your transportation around the city extremely easy. Thus giving you the chance to fully experience and discover the special history of the island.
Points of interest
- The Minoan Palace of Knossos (5 km south of Heraklion), legendary residence of king Minos and the place of the mythical Labyrinth and of the Minotaur.
- The Palace of Faistos (62.5km southwest of Heraklion) with its magnificent architecture and almost perfect structure. Is considered the finest and most characteristic of all Minoan palaces.
- The national park with the Samaria gorge is one of the biggest tourist attractions in Crete
- The Old city and the port of Chania
- Loutro in Sfakia, in the Libyan Sea
- Kourna Lake and Argiroupolis in Rethymno
- The traditional and icturesque mountain village of Anogia with the Ideon Andron and nearby (6km), the Cavern of Zoniana.
- Agios Nikolaos in Lassithi
- Elounda and Spinalonga island
- The plateau of Lassithi and the «Diktaion Antron»